Recount Text Example with Answer
Direction: answer the following questions correctly by choosing A, B, C, or D.
The following text is for questions number 1 to 3.
Yesterday, my family and I went to the zoo, to see the elephants and other animals. We went by car and left hose at 7 a.m. It took about one and a half hours to get to the zoo.
When we got to the zoo, we went directly to the pet shop to buy some animal food. We spent fifteen thousand rupiahs on the food. After getting the food, we first visited the nocturnal house where birds and reptiles-wich only come out at night were displayed. It was really interesting. After that, we went for a ride on an elephant. It was a thrill! My dad nearly fell off when he let go of the rope.
At 12.15 p.m., my mom and my sister prepared lunch. We ate our lunch under a big tree near the elephant area. After lunch, we went to the bird park. We fed some of the birds inside the park. When we returned home we were tired but happy because we had so much fun.
1. The text above tells us about…
- animals in the zoo
- fiding an elephant
- feeding the bird
- a trip to the zoo
2. What is the main idea of the first paragraph?
- The family went to the zoo.
- They bought food in the zoo.
- The trip to the zoo took one hour.
- They left their house late afternoon.
3. Where did the writer go right after arriving at the zoo?
- Pet shop
- Bird park
- Elephant area
- Nocturnal house
Last weekend. I visited my pen pars house. His Name is Anto. There were many activities I did there. In the morning, Anto and I had breakfast. We had traditional food. I liked it very much.
After breakfast, he took me to the garden behind his house. The garden was very big and beautiful. There is a big birdcage in the garden. There were many kinds of birds in that cage. I spent a long time feeding the birds. I also took pictures with those beautiful birds.
After visiting the birdcage, Anto and I went to the flower garden not far from his house. We took a rest and had lunch under a big tree and watch butterflies flying above colorful flowers. In the afternoon, we swam in the pool in the backyard. It was so fun. I really enjoyed my time with Anto.
4. The text above tells us about …
- a holiday at a friend’s place
- a picture of a bird
- a big birdcage
- a big garden
5. What is the last paragraph about?
- Anto had butterflies as his pet.
- The writer’s friend is a good swimmer.
- There are a lot of flowers in Anto’s house.
- The writer had a good time with his friend.
6. Where did the writer spend his afternoon?
- Under a tree
- Inside big birdcage
- In the flower garden
- In the swimming pool
7. From the text, we know that the writer …
- Had gone and visited many places during his holiday.
- Lived in the same village with his pen pal, Anto.
- Liked butterflies and swimming very much.
- Spent his holiday at a friend’s house.
The following text is for questions number 8 to 11.
Last Holiday, my schoolmates and I had a trip to Bali. We traveled there by has from Surabaya. It was a study tour program for grade eight students. We left school for Bali on Monday, November 24th, 2014 at 4 p.m. On our way to Bali, we passed several cities in East Java such as Sidoarjo, Pasuruan, Probolinggo, Jember, Situbondo, and Banyuwangi. It was a very interesting trip. We enjoyed the view along the road. We arrived at Ketapang, the harbor of Banyuwangi, at about 6.30 in the next morning. We went on to the ferry to get onto Bali after a long queue of vehicles. We enjoyed the view of the Bali Strait. A few minutes before arriving at Gilimanuk, the harbor of Bali, we got surprised. There were many boys climbing up the ferry. Then, suddenly they jumped into the water. They dived to get the coins thrown by the passengers of the ferry. The water was very clear. It made the coin visible. They were really good divers. It was my first experience of traveling by sea transportation. In my opinion, it was very exciting.
8. What is the purpose of the text above?
- To retell a past activity
- To inform about the view of the road
- To describe Bali
- To tell about Gilimanuk harbor
9. What does the first paragraph talk about?
- The writer and his schoolmates arrived in Bali.
- The writer and his schoolmates went to Bali by bus.
- The time when the writer and his schoolmates had a study tour.
- The journey to Bali.
10. What did they enjoy along the journey?
- Big cities
- The view along the road
- Good divers
- The view of the sea
11. The word harbor has the same meaning with …
12. They passed some cities in East Java on their way to Bali, except …
The following text is for questions number 13 to 15.
Last month, my family and I attended Grandpa’s funeral. It was my first time to go to such a ceremony. It (13) … one day to finish the ceremony. In this ceremony we wore black (14) … Before the ceremony began, the deceased was placed in a sandalwood coffin. Then, many processions followed. The funeral ceremonies made me and my family tired. However, we were grateful because it ran (15) …
The following text is for question number 16 to 18.
On Saturday night, the student of SMPN 12 (16) … on a nearby hill. They chose a flat land to set up a (17) … It was on the bank of a waterfall. They were happy. They worked (18) … Some of them cooked food, some of them swept the place and prepared the firewood.
The following text is for question number 19 to 21.
Last summer i went to a nearby college as part of a school program. I (19) … classes in Chemistry and English. The classes were harder than my High School classes, but I worked hard and did them well. The students in my program stayed in the same (20) … Time passes so (21) … when you enjoy your time Suddenly summer is over and I have to return home.
- sport hall
The following text is for question number 22 to 26.
Last lebaran, my family and I went hometown. We decided to take a train because it is more comfortable.
We left our house at about 5 o’clock in the morning. We took a taxi to the railway station. We arrived at the station at six. Our train would leave at 6.40. But without prior information, our train was late for about fifteen minutes, so we had to wait a bit longer.
Finally, our train came. All of us rushed to get on the train. We took carriage number three according to our tickets. After finding out seats we could sit comfortably. It took about 5 to 7 hours to get to our hometown. We really enjoyed our journey.
22. What is the purpose of the text above?
- To inform readers about a train service
- To persuade readers to use a train
- To describe the way to go to the railway station
- To retell the writer’s experience in the last Lebaran
23. Why did the writer and his family take the train to their destination?
- Because it is more expensive than going by bus
- Because going by train is faster than going by plane
- Because it is more comfortable
- Because their house is close to the railway station
24. What time did the train came?
25. How long did it take from their house to the railway station?
- 15 minutes
- 30 minutes
- 45 minutes
- One hour
26. All of us rushed to get in… The underlined word has a similar meaning to …
The following text is for question number 27 to 30.
I am used to traveling by air but only on one occasion, I felt frightened. After taking off, we flew low over the city. It slowly went high to the sky.
But, suddenly it turned round and flew back to the airport. An air-hostess told us to keep calm and to get off the plane quietly as soon as it landed. After we landed, the police searched the plane carefully. Everybody on board was worried and we grew curious about what was happening.
Later we learned that there was a very important person on board. Earlier somebody told the police that there was a bomb on the plane. Fortunately, they didn’t find a bomb and five hours later we were able to take off again.
27. Who searched the plane carefully?
- The pilot
- The police
- The air-hostesses
- The passengers
28. Why did the plane fly back to the airport?
- The pilot was afraid of bombs.
- The pilot forgot about something.
- The passengers were frightened.
- Police suspected that there was a bomb on the plane.
29. What is the main idea of paragraph three?
- The writer felt frightened.
- The police searched the plane carefully.
- Somebody said that there was a bomb on the plane.
- There was a very important person on board.
30. … I felt frightened. The underlined word has the same meaning …
The following text is for question number 31 to 34.
Last week my parents, sister, brother and I went to the zoo. We went there for recreation. We left at 6.00 a.m. and arrived (here at 8.00 a.m). It is about a hundred kilometers to go to the zoo from my house.
There were a lot of people watching a giant snake. The snake was there for about a week. It was 9 meters long. I thought it was the biggest snake I had ever seen. After going around and watching various animals, we went home. On the way home, we stopped at the Borobudur temple for half an hour.
31. Which is the most suitable title for the text above?
- Going to The Zoo
- Having Recreation
- Going to Borobudur
- Watching a Giant Snake
32. How many people were looking at the giant snake?
- A few
33. How many persons did the writer go to the zoo with?
34. After going around and watching various animals, we went home. (paragraph 2) The italic word has the same meaning as …
The following text is for question number 35 to 41.
Last week, my dad and I went to a store. We went there to buy some candies. In the store, the candies looked so good. I would have bought a lot of them but my dad said I could only have three. I gave the store owner the money for the candies. As we left the store, I ate one of the candies. It was yummy. I hope we come back soon.
35. What kind of text is the text above?
36. The generic structure of the text is …
- description – identification
- identification – description
- orientation – events – Reorientation
- reorientation – events – Orientation
37. Last week, I and my dad went to a store. The sentence is the … of the text.
38. I would have bought a lot of them but my dad said I could only have three. I gave the store owner the money for the candies. As we left the store, I ate one of the candies. The sentences are the … of the text
39. Who went to the store?
- My dad and I
- My dad
- The writer
- The writer and his dad
40. Why did they want to go to the store?
- The writer wanted to buy some candies
- The writer liked the candies
- They knew the owner well
- The candies looked good
41. What did the writer feel about the candies? The candies were …
- the best candy
The following text is for question number 42 to 46.
Yesterday my mother was ill. My father and I took her to the doctor. First, my father talked to the lady who was in charge of registration. She typed the data about my mother on the computer. Then we waited for my mother’s turn.
When her turn comes, I accompanied her to enter the doctor’s room. The doctor listened to my mother’s complaints patiently. Then he examined my mother by putting the stethoscope on her chest. After that, a nurse, to take my mother’s temperature so she put a thermometer in my mother’s armpit. He told me that my mother had bad influenza. He wrote a prescription and gave it to me. He advised my mother to stay in bed for three days and come back after a week.
Then father took my mother home directly and I went to the nearest dispensary.
42. Who was sick yesterday?
- My mother
- The writer’s mother
- My father
- The writer’s father
43. What did the doctor do first after the patience enter his room?
- Examined the patient first after the patients enter his room.
- Took the patient’s blood pleasure by using spignomonometer.
- Listened to the patient’s complaint patiently.
- Wrote a prescription and gave it to the writer.
44. What is used to take the patient’s temperature?
45. After that, he took my mother’s blood pleasure … (paragraph 2). The underlined word means …
46. Why does the writer write such kind of text?
- To present his point of view
- To retell events for the purpose of informing
- To persuade the readers to go to the doctor
- To explain how the doctor explain the patients
The following text is for question number 47 to 49.
Last Friday, a friend of mine asked me to accompany him to buy a new shirt at a department store. We left home at 03.00 p.m. by motorcycle. As soon as we arrived there, we went to the clothes section. I let him choose one. An hour later, I got bored watching him confused in choosing a shirt. So, I left him and went to the cassette counter. Thirty minutes later, I went back to the clothes section but I couldn’t find him there. My cell phone was broken so I couldn’t call him. I went to the parking area. I saw his motorcycle was there but I couldn’t find him. I waited for him for a few moments then finally I gave up and decided to go home.
When I arrived home, my mother told me that my friend called. She said that he was in the department store looking for me. My mother asked me to come back to the department store. Reluctantly, I walked to the department store and you know what? When I arrived there his motorcycle was not in the parking area. He just went home. I was very tired. There was no other choice. I had to walk home again. When I arrived home, I was so tired. I was very angry but when I saw my friend’s broad smile greet me in front of the door, I just could not help laughing.
47. The text above is about …
- an embarrassing day
- shopping with mother
- the writer and his friend
- my friend and his motorcycle
48. The writer couldn’t contact his friend because …
- he went home alone
- his cell phone was broken
- he was in the parking area
- His friend was still choosing a shirt.
49. From the story above we can conclude that there was a problem because …
- the writer couldn’t contact his friend
- the writer’s friend was in the clothes section
- the writer and his friend couldn’t ride the motorcycle
- the writer and his friend decided to go to the department store
The following text is for question number 50 to 52.
My wonderful experience at the 2006 Asian Games in Doha
In December 2006, I went to Doha to participate in the 2006 Asian Games taking part in the Bach Volley Ball Championship. We prepared for a long time, training hard and fighting for the approval of our participation. Nothing was easy. My partner, clear, my coach, king, and I were aiming to get into the top 8 at the Asian Games.
Unfortunately, I sprained my ankle one week before departure which frustrated me beyond belief. I had physiotherapy every day following the injury and tried to recover as quickly as possible. Of course, the ankle could not heal completely in a few days. So, I had no choice but to just try my best and have my ankle taped when I played in matches.
We played against a team from Thailand, Mongolia, and Malaysia. The most difficult and important match was against the Malaysian Team. We played well for the match and tried our very best. But finally, we lost to them and ranked 9. It was so close. We nearly reached our goal to be among the first 8 teams.
50. The writer’s team was bitten by the team from …
51. What is the main idea of paragraph 2?
- The writer sprained her ankle
- The writer tried hard to recover
- The ankle made the writer frustrated
- It needs a long time to heal her ankle
52. According to the writer. … team was difficult to beat.
The following text is for question number 53 to 57.
Last week, my friend and I rode our bikes to the beach. It was only five kilometers from our houses.
It was quite windy and there was hardly anyone there. It surprised us because there were always many people coming there on the weekends. So, we had the beach on our own. We bought some hot chips, rode our bikes, played in the water, and sat under the trees. We really had a great time.
53. Where did the story happen?
- Ina house
- Ina water
- At the store
- At the beach
54. Flow did they go to the beach?
- By bicycles
- By car
- By bus
- By boat
55. Who did the writer and his friend find when they reached the beach?
- Many people
- Many visitors
- Almost no one
- Foreign tourist
56. How did the writer think about the trip?
- It was an unpleasant trip.
- It was a horrible trip.
- It was a fun trip.
- It was a good trip.
57. it was only five kilometers from our houses. (line 1). The word it refers to …
The following text is for question number 58 to 60.
On Thursday, 24 April we went to the Botanical Gardens. We walked down and boarded the bus.
After we arrived at the garden, we walked down to the Education Centre. The third-grade students went to have a look around. First, we went to the first farm and Mrs. James read us some information. Then, we looked at all the lovely plants. After that, we went down to a little spot in the Botanical Garden and had a morning tea break.
Next, we did sketching and then we met the fourth-grade students at the Education Centre to have lunch. Soon after that, it was time for us to go and make our terrariums while the fourth-year students went to have a walk.
A lady took us into a special room and introduced herself. Then she explained what we were going to do. Next, she took us to a pyramid terrarium. It was really interesting. After we had finished, we met the fourth-grade students outside the gardens. Then we reboarded the bus and returned to school.
58. Most events mentioned in the text happened …
- at the Education Centre
- in the botanical garden
- on the bus to Botanical Garden
- outside the school
59. The writer of the text is …
- fourth-grade students
- a school teacher
- third-grade students
- Mr. and Mrs. James
60. What did the fourth-grade students do after lunch?
- They had a walk.
- They made their terrarium.
- They returned to school.
- They went to a pyramid terrarium.