35 Descriptive Text Example with Answer
Direction: answer the following questions correctly by choosing A, B, C, or D.
The following text is for questions number 1 to 3.
My hotel is located in the Putri Hill area. There are other hotels in the area which are all beautiful. My hotel has fifty rooms. Ten rooms are luxurious. The rooms are air-conditioned and there is a color TV in each room. The other forty are business rooms. It means the rooms are simple, with fans and black-and-white TVs. In the luxurious rooms, there are always double beds, but in the simple rooms, only some have double beds.
Our guests come and check-in or check out at the receptionist’s desk. These people also help guests with their needs. They can order food and the receptionists ask our restaurant to serve them. Guests can have breakfast, lunch, or dinner in the room or in the restaurant.
Room service is ready with orders. The receptionist can also help guests with their laundry. The laundry woman will wash and iron the clothes. The room-keepers clean all the rooms every day, Look! Some guests are coming. The bellboys help guests with their bags. They will have a seminar tomorrow It is in the convention hall I’ll ask them to sit in the lounge.
1. What are the facilities of the simple rooms in the writer’s hotel?
- Air-conditioners and color TVs’
- Fans and black-and-white TVs
- There are always double beds
- There is a color TV in each room
2. The ask them to sit in the lounge. The lounge means the room where the guests …
- watch TV
- sit and relax
- have a seminar
- have their meals
3. … can order food and the receptionists ask the restaurant in the hotel to serve them. The underlined word refers to …
- the guests
- the bellboys
- the receptionists
- the laundry women
This text is for questions number 4 and 5.
This is Mr. Haryono’s house. It is big, clean, and comfortable (4). There is a garden in front of the house. There are some plants and flowers in the garden. There is a living room, a dining room, two bathrooms, a kitchen, three bedrooms, and a garage. Mr. Haryono has some pets (5), a dog, a cat, and a parrot. Mr. Haryono takes care of the pets very carefully.
4. The underlined word means…
5. The word pets mean …
- tame animals
- beautiful animals
- favorite animals kept at home
- tame animals kept at the zoo
This text is for questions number 6 to 8.
My Uncle Martin is my mother’s elder brother. He is my favorite among my mother’s brothers. He is a very interesting man. He lives quite near us with my Aunt Angela and my cousins Anne and Bob. I often go to his house.
He is about 45 with grey hair. He is still quite good-looking. He is tall and well-built. He has blue eyes and a strong face. He wears glasses. He is short-sighted. He takes them off when he doesn’t work.
Uncle Martin is a textile engineer. He works for a big firm in the city. He travels widely in his job. He is an expert in solving problems with machines. At present, he Is in the United States. He is visiting the firm’s customers there.
He is very fond of the sea. He has a boat at the seaside. He goes there every weekend in summer to sail it. ‘sometimes stay with my cousins at their house on the coast. When Uncle Martin Is at home he usually takes us out in the boat.
6. Who is Uncle Martin?
- Bob’s father
- Anne’s uncle
- My mother’s uncle
- Aunt Angela’s neighbor
7. Which paragraph talks about the physical description of Uncle Martin?
8. How many children does Uncle Martin have?
This text is for question number 9 to 11
Indonesian Young Stars
The finalists of “AkademiFantasilndosiar 1” (All) are wonderful young people.
Mawar who was born on 26th February 2985 is a cute girl. She has straight, short hair. Her bright skin, chubby cheeks, and lovely smile make her look marvelous. She is not very tall. However, her weight ( which is 40 kgs matches her body well and makes her look cute.
Unlike Mawar, Ve looks tall. She is 1.69 meters tall. She is quite slim She weighs 45 kgs. Compared to Mawar, Ve looks darker. The 22-year-old girl has black straight hair.
Another finalist is Ismail who is better known as Smile. The young man who was born on 16th September 1983 looks much bigger and taller than his two female friends. He is tall and muscular. His complexion is fair and his hair is short and straight.
9. The text is about…
- Mawar AFI
- Ve AFI
- Ismail AFI
- the finalists of AFI
10. What do you think about Mawar?
- She is taller than Ve.
- She is heavier than Ve.
- She is younger than Smile.
- Her skin is darker than Ve’s.
11. “Her bright skin, chubby cheeks, and lovely smile ..”(Paragraph 2) The underlined word can mean…
This text is for question number 12 to 15.
Jennifer Lopez (or J.Lo) is a highly successful actress, singer, and dancer. Her new films and new albums usually go straight to the top.
What’s a typical working day for her? Making a film is hard work. She usually gets up at half-past five in the morning and she’s always on the film set at half-past six. She never drinks coffee and she always has a light lunch of just green salad. She doesn’t like working up late at night. She is usually in bed by half-past ten. If she stays out late, she will be too tired the next morning.
Adam Shankman, a director of one of her films, says, “J. Lo is actually a quiet person. She doesn’t like going out all the time. She often stays at home on Saturday nights and watches videos.”
If J.Lo isn’t working on a film or making a record, her lifestyle is very different. When she has got time off, she’s quite happy to go out. She loves New York restaurants. She loves dancing. She sometimes dances until 3 o’clock in the morning.
J.Lo’s family lives in New York. They were a very close family. She sees her parents every weekend and she always phones them if she has a problem. She’s got two older sisters and they get on very well together. They are not just her sisters; they’re her best friends.
12. What is the text about?
- A successful actress
- Jennifer Lopez
- Jennifer Lopez’s sister
- Adam Shankman
13. What does J. Lo, do when she has a problem?
- Sees her parents every weekend
- Phones her parents
- Meets her two sisters
- Goes clubbing in New York
14. What is the main idea of paragraph four?
- J.Lo’s typical working day
- J.Lo’s family relationship
- J.Lo’s lifestyle on her free days
- J.Lo’s activities in New York
15. They get on very well together. (Paragraph 5) The underlined word refers to …
- Adam Shankman and J.Lo
- Her parents and her sisters
- J.Lo and her sisters
- Her parents and J.Lo
This text is for question 16 to 18
Sragen is one of the regencies in Central Java. Sragen Regency which is usually called, “TlatahSukowati” is 941,55 km’ with the topographies as follows: in the middle of the area flows the longest river in Java, Bengawan Solo; in the southern part of Sragen is a slope of Mount Lawu; in the northern part is the hillside of Kendeng Mountain, and in the western part is a famous region called “the Sangiran Dome.”
One of the interesting tourist objects in Sragen is the Sangiran Museum which is built in the Sangiran Dome. The dome itself is situated in the Depression of Solo on the north-west slope of Mount Lawu. This area is about 56km2 which consists of three districts in the Sragen Regency (the Gemolong, Kalijambe, Plupuh districts) and one in Karang Anyar Regency (Gondang Rejo district). Sangiran is the most important site for the development of various fields of knowledge: anthropology, archeology, biology, paleoanthropology, and geology.
16. What does the text tells us about?
- Bengawan Solo
- Central Java
17. What passes through the middle of Sragen regency?
- Bengawan Solo River
- Sangiran Dome
- Kendeng Mountain
- The Plupuh district
18. This area is about 56km2 which consists of…. (paragraph 2) The underlined word refers to…
- Sangiran Museum
- Sangiran Dome
- Mount Lawu
- The Depression of Solo
This text is for question number 19 to 21
Masjid Sultan Suriansyah
Masjid Sultan Suriansyah is a historic mosque built 300 years ago, this building is the oldest mosque in South Kalimantan. The mosque is located in the North Kuin Village of Banjarmasin. It was built in the reign of Sultan Suriansyah known as Pangeran Samudera. He was the first Banjarnese King who converted to Islam. This mosque was found on the bank of the Kuin River, near KampungKraton, which was destroyed by the Dutch colonial.
The construction of Masjid Sultan Suriansyah was unique. The roof is layered. It took the Banjar’s past architecture before Islam came Different from any other old mosques in Banjar, the mihrab has its own roof, separated from the main building.
19. Masjid Sultan Suriansyah was constructed in the era of …
- Banjar people
- Dutch colonial
- Kalimantan King
- Sultan Suriasyah
20. What is mainly discussed in the text?
- A king reign
- A palace complex
- An Islamic location
- A historical mosque
21. From the text we know that …
- some construction of the mosque takes the local style
- Banjar people burned down the mosque
- there is nothing special about this mosque
- the Dutch colonial built the mosque
The text is for question number 22 to 21
Bale Kambang is a small village on the Southern coast of East Java, seventy kilometers from Malang town and two hours drive from the South. It is well known for its long beautiful white sandy beach as well as the similarity of its time to the one of Tanah Lot in Bali.
In Bale Kambang, there are three small rocky islands namely Ismaya Island, Wisanggeni Island, and Anoman Island, those names are taken from “wayang” figures (Java traditional puppets). These islands are surrounded by the Indonesian Ocean which huge waves frighten most overseas cruisers.
22. What makes Bale Kambang famous?
- Small rocky islands
- Long beautiful beach
- Huge waves of the ocean
- Overseas cruisers
23. What is Bale Kambang?
- A small village on the Southern Coast of Java.
- Three small islands in the Indonesian ocean.
- Wayang figure from East Java, Indonesia.
- A village in Malang, East Java.
24. What is the main idea of the second paragraph?
- There are three rocky Islands in Bale Kambang.
- Huge waves frighten many overseas cruisers.
- Names of rocky islands are taken from “wayang’ figures.
- The rocky islands are in the middle of the sea.
25. . on the southern coast of East Java … (paragraph 1) The italic word is closest in meaning with…
This text is for questions number 26 to 30.
Transjakarta is one of Jakarta’s mass transportation systems. The problem with Transjakarta begins with the stations. The flat-top steel and glass enclosures have no ventilation at all. By the time the bus arrives, you will be drenched in sweat. It’s hard to imagine how one could design a bus station to be any more uncomfortable.
When the bus finally stops, it will be packed to the gills. A few people may get off and a few may get on. If you are lucky enough to push your way onto the bus, you need to hang on, because it’s like a sardine can. The buses are air-conditioned, but it doesn’t help much when the bus is overcapacity. Pickpockets abound so you should be very careful with your belongings.
The best time to use the busway is between 10 a.m. and 7 p.m. on Sunday. There is a downloadable map on this website. The fare is Rp3.500,00 and there are no transfer fees.
26. The text above tells us about … Transjakarta.
- the fare of
- the station of
- the problem of
- the best time to use
27. Where can we download the map of Transjakarta?
- On their website
- In their buses
- At the bus stop
- At the bus station
28. Why does Transjakarta station become a problem?
- It is made of steel and glass.
- It has no ventilation at all.
- It does not have good roofs.
- It is in the shape of an enclosure.
29. What does the second paragraph tell us about?
- The situation when the bus stops at the station.
- The people on the station are packed to the gills.
- The way passengers of the bus leave the station.
- Many people like to get on and off the bus.
30. From the text, we know that …
- Transjakarta provides a downloadable map on its website.
- Transjakarta’s station is very small but comfortable.
- Riding Transjakarta during office hours is irresistible.
- Transjakarta charges Rp.3.500,00 for its transfer fee.
This text is for question number 31 to 33.
My Bedroom My bedroom is (31) … It’s about four meters long and three meters wide. There is a bed across the door. A desk and a chair stand near the window. On the corner, stand three-door wooden cupboards to (32) … all of my stuff and my clothes. On the center of the ceiling, a twenty-watt spiral lamp gives enough light for the entire room and functions as a reading lamp as well. I really thanked my father who designed the room because I have enough space and I stay (33) … in it.
This text is for question number 34 to 35.
I have a Hamster named Scruffy. I got him from a pet shop in the mall. I named him Scruffy because he always scratched his cage.
Since the first time I got Scruffy, I have fallen in love with him. He is a nice hamster. I put a wheel on his cage. He loves to exercise with it. He often sleeps all day and runs on his wheel all night. That is the one I don’t like. It makes me feel lonely when he sleeps all the time. But I can’t do anything because I know that hamsters are nocturnal.
I spend my spare time with Scruffy. I talk about anything to him. I feel that he could understand me.
One day, I got confused because I lost my bicycle key. I tried to find it everywhere but I couldn’t find it. I got tired and sat on my bed. I talked to Scruffy. Suddenly he jumped back and forth many times. When I opened his cage he ran quickly under my bed and he came upbringing my bicycle key. I was very surprised. This makes me feel sure that Scruffy understood my words.
34. The text mainly tells us about.
- an interesting moment with a pet hamster
- an experience to take care of a pet
- an exercise with a pet hamster
- the tips to raise a hamster
35. What is the main idea of the last paragraph?
- Scruffy was nocturnal.
- Scruffy slept all the time.
- The writer exercised Scruffy.
- The hamster found the lost key.